My encounter with alcohol

Being brought up in a traditional hindu family I never encountered alcohol , until I moved to United States.  While growing up in India, I was taught that it is bad -and also had heard about one relative who passed away due to excessive drinking. So It was a bad thing.

But why it is bad ? when it is bad ? what is in it, that is bad ? why there is so much demand when it is bad? 

I didn't have any interest so I never asked these questions, never bothered.  Until one incidence. 

After moving to United States at the age of 18,  I was a different person. A person with full of energy, with a brighter and more positive prospective and moreover a person who wants to know and explore. Seeing this energy, my uncle got little concerned and one day he started talking to me about all the hot topics including boyfriend, alcohol, drugs and what not. 

Feeling free from the spirit high, I answered him genuinely. He asked me what do you think about alcohol, I was like--" its bad." He then asked me, what would I do if someone offers you ?  I was like, I wont take it or may be will just taste it.  That day, he just left me pondering at this topic for his work. 

Entire day , I GOOGLED : its making, its types, its origin, DUI and its consumption around the world. In evening my uncle came to me and opened the topic again, starting of something like this : "look there are some facts I want you to know".  I cut him through and jumped on it saying : I know it all !!! .

And guess what, he mystically smiled while opening a bottle of wine and said, lets share ! ( the wine and the thoughts ;P )

He being in a medicine professional shared me all the route an alcohol takes through the body and brain and at the end he just added one sentence which is still with me. As too much of chocolate has its consequences so does alcohol !  Be aware of your body and define your own balance. 

Since then, I do cherish wine a little bit more in my life. As it gave me a good guiding friend in my uncle and it was my first encounter with wine!  Grow, Explore, Invent but not by following what is just told around but by knowledge of our own reactions and things around us.

Love
Jaimini

Comments

  1. Good article.

    After all these years have you been able to determine your alcohol/body balance? Just curious. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment